FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue May 6 09:35:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 09:54 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >> I agree.  This proposal seems to be all pain for no gain.
> > The fact Fedora ships gcc-4.3.0 is all pain for no gain.
>
> Certainly not!  There's been a bunch of useful improvements, as you'll see
> on the gcc web page.
No disagreement, but .. there also are a lot of changes, which require
developers to change/update/rework their sources.

> > Please add versions of gcc of all active GCC-branches, such that people
> > can continue to use f77 and c++'s backward stuff.
> >
> > Also consider adding a version of gcc which ships still supports libg++.
> >
> > Do you sense the insanity?
>
> I don't think this is a relevant comparison.
Why? You are using a dead piece of SW called autoconf-2.13, others are
using a dead piece of SW called gcc-2.7.2/egcs or libg++ or gcc-3.x.-

The only difference is RH playing nice to people using outdated
autotools and pushing around people using outdated c/c++ code or
features/miss-features from older gcc's.

In fact, you are aggressively forcing Fedora based developers to rework
their c/c++/fortran-code or to quit using Fedora, but you refuse to fix
your autotools-code? Double-standards!

>   Most importantly, gcc is a large
> package, so there is a considerable cost to shipping more than one version.
>
> As has been pointed out, this FESCo proposal is mere make-work for no purpose.
> It serves only to distract maintainers from doing something useful.
To the same extend as gcc-4.3.0 does - It might have escaped you, but
other distros do have alternative toolchains.

Of cause their would be middle-grounds ... but I don't sense any
interest on your (@RH) part to develope/find one.

Ralf