what's the brief grand-plan for java ?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri May 9 14:03:18 UTC 2008

Caolan McNamara wrote:
> What's the three liner for java openjdk/icedtea/libgcj in the fedora
> future ? is it...
>
> Port icedtea to all platforms that libgcj supports, move to icedtea as
> default when stable and drop ahead-of-time-gcj-compiling ?

Eventually, yes.  The most interesting option is to use LLVM to jit-compile;
see http://gbenson.net/ for the current status.

> Or is it planned to always aot compile stuff by default and continue to
> support using gij as java ?

It all depends on how well the LLVM-based jit works.

For example, gcj is currently between 1.6 and 10 times faster than
Sun's C++ interpreter on ARM systems, so it's worth keeping gcj alive
there until we get something better.  Only desktop systems fully-
supported by a custom JIT, there is little need for gcj.

Andrew.