Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:40:42 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>> Then just admit that the duplication causes more harm than good and
>> make the user set up his own yum configuration if pointing to jpackage
>> is a problem for you.  Do the same with openoffice if you can't
>> support it without badly duplicating packages with better upstreams.
>> What's the point of making things worse for your users?
>
> Repository conflicts have always existed. As long as there is more than
> one repository that is not perfectly complimentary, that is just a fact
> of life. We just learn to work with it in a way we can.

But the way we work around that problem is to not use the one that
conflicts.  I think you are suggesting not using fedora unless you
provide a straightforward exclusion method for the conflicting packages.
  is that really what you want people to do?

> If that doesn't
> suit you, do your own thing instead. Good luck.

Everyone doing their own thing is the problem here.  Encouraging it is
absolutely the wrong thing.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com