rhgb no more

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed May 14 01:35:51 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 01:14 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Andrew Bartlett <abartlet <at> samba.org> writes:
> > > X in the initrd?
> >
> > Couldn't Qt/Embedded be used for this purpose? We'd have to find a way to
> > prevent a conflict with the regular Qt/X11, but other than that it would seem
> > to be the perfect match for a lightweight RHGB-type solution (i.e. one which
> > doesn't require starting up X early) to me.
>
> Or GTK/directfb... but you don't really need or want a full-blown
> toolkit there, either way. The main thing is to handle keyboard input in
> an acceptable way, and display some feedback that resembles a password
> entry.

Yeah, all we really need to do is stick an appropriate graphic up on the
screen and _maybe_ render some text to describe which partition is being
unlocked.  But there shouldn't be any need for a widget toolkit

> krh was muttering about a xkb-to-console-keymap converter this
> morning, as a possible solution to the keyboard layout problem.

I had looked briefly at this early in the Fedora 9 cycle and it's the
right thing to do even ignoring encrypted device passphrase input.
Continuing the disaster of manual mapping between console keyboard
layouts and X ones is just utter fail.  Sure, you can't have *all* of
the niceties of X's keyboard input, but you can map pretty well.  And
some other distros have been doing so for a while.  I should just make
the time to actually push this over the next week or two.  It'll also
help the mapping to X keyboard layouts as we're not writing an xorg.conf
at all anymore[1]

Jeremy

[1] Well, with the uncommitted changes that are sitting on my laptop.
But landing in a rawhide near you probably on Thursday. :)