SWFdec vs Gnash (also gcjwebplugin)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu May 15 15:17:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:52:02AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) said:
> > > It works better would be the short answer. Having run both of
> > > them through a test suite (available at
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestResults/Fedora9Swfdec/Rawhide),
> > > swfdec performed *much* better, not the least because it supports
> > > a larger subset of Flash 9.
> >
> > Are the results for gnash somewhere?
>
> Probably not, sorry.
>
> > And for which version?
>
> Whatever was in rawhide for F9 at the time.

If the time of the wikipage writing is that time, then it was 0.8.2, it
is a bit strange. I tested them with 0.8.2 and the result are similar
than with swfdec, except for "Photobucket Slideshow".

> Note that another issue in swfdec's favor is gst-missing-plugins support.

I searched google with  gst-missing-plugins but didn't found anything
relevant. Is there a web page for that?

Also there was adiscussion about that on the gnash mailing list if I
recall well, and there may be people not willing to help proprietary
codecs, but I don't remember well.

--
Pat