Fedora 9 livecd-creator questions

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Thu May 15 21:33:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 16:02 -0400, William Cohen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have previously generated a livecd spin that includes a Systemtap tutorial
> (based on F-7 and F-8). I am updating this livecd to be based on Fedora 9. I
> have a couple questions when going through this process to build a SystemTap
> tutorial.
>
> The /usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-9-base-desktop.ks has :
>
> selinux --enforcing
>
> However this appears to cause the machine creating the livecd to hang as
> mentioned in Red Hat bz #445630. I guess for the time being turn off selinux
> when generating a livecd. It is a less drastic workaround for this?

Biggest problem is trying to build say an F9 livecd on F8.  When it
installs the selinux policy in the chroot it actually loads that policy
into the running kernel and crap hits the fan.  For today your best
choices I think are the run F9 composes on F9 with it set permissive, or
turn it all the way off.

I've been working on making selinux and livecd-creator play nicely
together all week.  Actually today I got my first bootable livecd images
out of a rawhide machine running enforcing.  But I still doubt I could
get an F9 cd out of a say an F6 system.  I'll get there but its still a
ways out since me/the selinux community is blundering around in the dark
without a guide on how the whole buildroot/livecd/rpm stuff works.

> For some of the experiments in the tutorial root access in a shell is required.
> What would be the preferred way to allow someone using the livecd to get root
> access on the livecd?

I added a rootpw blahblah statement to my kickstart and it didn't take.
Could be because it just doesn't care or it could be because it was
rawhide.  Anyway, if you do get a rootpw loaded let me know how you
fixed that.

-Eric