passwd does not work after f8 -> f9 upgrade

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 03:27:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Jarosław Górny <jaroslav at aster.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Saturday 17 of May 2008 18:54:57 Izhar Firdaus napisał(a):
>> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Jarosław Górny <jaroslav at aster.pl> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I've searched BZ, but not found anything similar.
>> > Couple of days ago I've upgraded to f9 with plain old "yum update". The
>> > process went smoothly, but now I'm not able to use passwd. Any try to
>> > change password (directly as a user, or as a root) fails:
>> >
> (...)
>
>> sounds like a broken file to me,
>>
>> try:
>>
>> rpm -V cracklib-dicts
>
> Yes, You're right. That was the case. Reinstalling cracklib-dicts solved this.
>

>> you may want to run package-cleanup --problems just in case somehow
>> happened missing dependencies ..
>>

> no, no dependency problems detected.
> I wonder why this files were corrupted?

No idea myself, broken packages happens several times a year with me
.. So i make it a habit to verify my installed RPMs before concluding
something is a bug ... I'm guessing it might be interrupted
transactions, harddisk problem, some other apps did modification and
break stuff (eg: the daily prelink) .. or ..a hidden bug somewhere in
rpm or yum which couldn't be easily reproduced ...

> Anyway, thanks a lot!

np

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail