I have a big mouth...

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:35:26 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>> It appears to work fine on MacOS X Safari 3.1.1 and FF 2.0.0.14.
>>>
>>> I tried User Agent Switcher with FF3 on F9, and it doesn't make a
>>> difference what user agent I try (IE7 Vista, NS 4.8 Vista, Opera 9.25
>>> Vista)--it still doesn't show any comments section.  So this doesn't
>>> appear to be a deliberate user agent-based bias.
>>>
>> It has nothing to do with the browser You use.
>> It's just server-related problem. Not quite sure but looks like comments
>> are loaded from here:
>> http://www.informationweek.com/btgcommunity/communityjs/780;jsessionid=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX?forum=13&key=33669&cmpJiveUser=
>> And sometimes it just starts giving HTTP 500s
>
> I don't agree with this.  I have two machines behind the same NAT
> gateway, therefore they are using the same public source IP address to
> connect to the web server.  One is Mac OS X, and works fine with both
> browsers, and the other is my Fedora 9 box which doesn't work at all,
> hasn't worked all weekend, and still doesn't work today.  I tried both
> machines simultaneously, and the Mac consistently works fine, while
> the F9 box doesn't.
>
> Additionally, I just tried Konqueror on F9, and it works fine.
>
> Tis is definately a problem with at least my F9 Firefox 3 setup.  Ok,
> I do have some extensions, namely NoScript, Flashblock, and User Agent
> Switcher.  I just said "Allow Scripts Globally" and it is now working.
> I guess some not-so-obvious third party site needs to run a script for
> the comments section to work.

It worked for me under F9 using both FF and Konq.
Then it just stopped working (I didn't change anything) with both FF and
  Konq.
And there was a guy who reported that this didn't work under MAC neither
with Safari nor with FF.
And now it works with both (for me).

So my conclusion is: something wrong on the server-side (somewhere
inside the highly-optimized load-balancers) or inside the too
UNunderstandable JavaScript which tries to load the comments from the
server.