Shifting mount points for drives

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Tue May 20 11:35:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure if this needs to be filed as a bug and if it is, what
component to shove it under!

My machine has 4 HDDs, 3 DVDs (one is a CDRW, one is a DVD, one is a
DVDRW), an internal zip and a floppy with card reader.

/dev/sda and /dev/sdb are both on the motherboard IDE
/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd (DVDRW and DVD/CDRW) are on the motherboard
secondary IDE

I have an IDE card in my machine as well which has the zip & DVD on one
channel and the other two hard drives on the other channel. The Zip is
set as master, DVD as secondary on their channel.

For some reason, the two HDDs keep getting shifted in their drive
numbers. If I have in /etc/fstab

/dev/sde1 /mp3
/dev/sdf1 /web

then things should be happy. But they're not. When I reboot, there is a
good change that they will be /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 or /dev/sdf1
and /dev/sdg1 but it's rare that they're /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1.

If I comment them out of fstab, then when I come to mount them, they are
*always* /dev/sde1 and /dev/sdf1

Any clues as to why this would be?

TTFN

Paul