Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Erich Zigler ezigler at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:30:20 UTC 2008

I have been reading this thread all evening and quite frankly it makes
me sick to my stomach. I consider Fedora developers and users to be
the cream of the crop of the Linux community. Unfortunately this
thread has not shown that to be the case. I am horrified for any one
who happens upon this thread via the mailing list archive as an
example of what the Fedora community is about. I would like to make
the following points in regard to this issue.

1. As a Fedora user who uses Fedora as a desktop machine and requires
the bits that the proprietary binary Nvidia driver provides I am not a
second class user. Individuals who have the ability to run OSS video
drivers are not any better or worse then I am they just have different
needs and requirements.

2. Demanding that a Red Hat employee who may or may not be paid to
work on Fedora is not doing his job is distasteful. I have been
involved in quite a few OSS projects over the years and OSS is about
freedom. The freedom to work on what you find interesting or feel
there is a need for. If an individual is not happy with how things are
going the individual is free to make the changes they feel are
important or help facilitate that change.  OSS development is largely