F9 Live USB IO Errors

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue May 27 02:25:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:30:54PM -0700, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> * Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> [2008-05-26 09:54]:
>>> I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
>>> people.  3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
>>> as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems.
>>
>> 2 of the 3 have now confirmed for me that they hit hard lockups while
>> running and had to hard-reboot their machines.  Afterwards, they could
>> not re-boot from the USB stick.
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Well known nature of the feature.  See a post of mine on fedora-livecd-list
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2008-May/msg00051.html
>
> I've suggested several times over the last 6 months that this issue be
> well documented to set expectations appropriately.

I don't understand how it could corrupt the UNDERLYING vfat partition,
but that is what happend to me twice.  I was unable to mount the USB
stick as a normal vfat data drive from a regular (non-Live) booted
system after filling and crashing the persistent overlay when it was
booted as a Live USB system.  It seems there is a vfat bug that is
corrupting the filesystem.