Fedora project: making a website with Fedora-Free music

Benjamin Lewis ben.lewis at benl.co.uk
Tue May 27 10:54:54 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 10:55:29 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today I've been discussing with upstream replacing some non free music with
> Free music, as I need to do often when packaging games (in this case Lost
> Labyrinth).
>
> I have been thinking recently about how convenient it would be to have a
> website where one can browse all known Fedora-Free (as in can be part of
> Fedora under the content Licensing guidelines) music.
>
> The Fedora package collection already contains quite a bit of music. Some
> put in -music packages because its in ogg format and thus quite large, but
> also quite a few modtracker and midi format songs, which are much smaller
> and sometimes even hidden away in .wad / .dat files.
>
> Thus I want to make a website with:
> -Unpacked (as in click on it and it will play) versions of all music
> included in Fedora, sorted by format and license, and preferably also
> catogorised by genre.
>
> -Links to other website which contain all Free, or clearly marked partially
>   Free music.
>
>   The first website which comes mind for the links section is the
> excellent: http://www.dogmazic.net/
>

> So now I need 2 things
> 1) Free (as in gratis) hosting, with lots of diskspace and potentially
> quite some bandwidth usage.
>
> 2) Someone to help me build the website, the last time I've done php / html
> was in 1999 :)

I would be willing to help with no. 2, although I can't really help with the
hosting as mine is in a state of serious flux atm and really dosn't have
enough diskspace.

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador - http://fedoraproject.org./
ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118