Suggestion with respect to the Fedora Update System

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 29 20:28:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> The maintainer can request a push to stable whenever he/she wants, even if the
> karma is at -1000. The +3 threshold is only the threshold at which Bodhi will
> automatically request a push to stable. Most pushes to stable are requested
> manually because otherwise we'd wait forever for the +3 karma.

I am of the humble opinion, that we aren't going to see more users
engage in specific package testing, unless we have a clientside tool
which can inform users of the availability of the update in a way that
encourages them to use bodhi for testing updates after they are
installed.  It's a really tough ui problem.

Or to put it another way...with updates-testing enabled I don't easily
know which packages are from updates-testing without making special
effort to determine it.  Unless I notice breakage, bodhi karma pushes
from me probably aren't going to happen for most updates-testing
packages i pull down.  I am probably not alone.  If the packaging UI
remind me as to which packages I have installed were from
updates-testing and which ones I have yet commented on, that would be
an immense help in encouraging me to respond in a timely fashion and
send in positive karma.

-jef