Re: Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:36:53AM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
Let's take a step back. How do we group several thousand things such that
they don't make the avg user lose his/her mind to look at them.
do we need groups of groups? A tree hierarchy the user can drill through?
Font-sized tags like flickr/bloggers, etc?
I'm open to ideas, really. :)

Me too. I'm just raising the notion that we need the shed painted. :) This
time, I don't care what color it is.

A couple of simple ideas:
tagging a-la flickr. If we key it on pkg name, we can keep the metadata from changing a lot. We could do a pre-made sqlite db, for example, and keep querying simple.

But let's say an average of 5 tags per pkg name at 7000 pkgs ends up being 35000 tags. Searching shouldn't be ridiculously hard and having a table that maps the other way tag->pkg shouldn't be too bad, either.

Toshio, any thoughts on if that's enough info?

-sv