Re: Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:

My perspective on server-type installs has always been the same:
kickstart a minimal and %post the rest in via: yum -y install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3. But it might just be the years of success deploying like in that way which makes me think that ;)

Make it so everyone else can say:
yum -y install "seth's server packages"
and everyone else can have equal success.

And it will work for desktops too, given a few experts that publish their lists of packages for for given purposes and preferences.

look at yum-groups-manager

you can easily make a local, custom comps.xml right now with a list of groups.

then you can do:

createrepo -g that_comps.xml somedir

and you have a repository that ONLY has comps.xml in it that is then instantly usable by any site which can get to the baseurl where it lives.

neat, huh?

-sv