Re: Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Le lundi 03 novembre 2008 à 11:36 -0500, Jeremy Katz a écrit :
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:36 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> > Let's take a step back. How do we group several thousand things such that
> > they don't make the avg user lose his/her mind to look at them.
>
> Also, what are the circumstances in which people are using this
> metadata?  What sort of interface are they expected to be working with,
> etc.  We have tons of unstructured metadata (see package summaries and
> descriptions :-)

Also any sort of structured metadata will be
1. expensive to collect
2. always incomplete

The #1 problem of categorisation systems is not how to exploit metadata
but how to create and maintain it in the first place.

--
Nicolas Mailhot