Detecting binaries in rpmbuild

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 13:36:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:53:33AM +0100, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> Op maandag 03-11-2008 om 13:55 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Orion
> Poplawski:
> > I just discovered in a package I'm putting through review that the
> > upstream tar ball contains some pre-compiled binaries.  It seems like
> > this would be a good check for rpmbuild to run automatically before
> > the
> > %build step.  Thoughts?
>
> That would kill some packages. Like all compilers that have to bootstrap
> theirselves.

Should compilers be carrying binary stuff in their source tarballs
even for bootstrapping?

For MinGW we separated the binary bootstrap stuff into separate
*NON-Fedora* RPMs.  The idea is that if you need to bootstrap on a
bare system, you have to install these *-bootstrap RPMs, and then you
can compile the real RPMs (from pure source SRPMS of course), and once
these are installed they obsolete the *-bootstrap RPMs.  Thus our
Fedora SRPMs are pure source, no binaries.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW/Bootstrapping

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v