Detecting binaries in rpmbuild

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 13:38:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:42:32AM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Jon Ciesla wrote:
> >> I just discovered in a package I'm putting through review that the
> >> upstream tar ball contains some pre-compiled binaries.  It seems like
> >> this would be a good check for rpmbuild to run automatically before the
> >> %build step.  Thoughts?
> >
> > Fine, as long as it doesn't prevent building rpms from precompiled
> > binaries.  I mean, other than compilers, we really shouldn't do it in
> > Fedora, but taking away that functionality would prevent companies
> > building some rpms for internal use.  I agree that rpmlint sounds like a
> > great place for this.
>
> Hold on, how do you know that something is a "binary" ?  What if, for
> example, it's an image bitmap?  In the general case it's not possible
> to tell if something is source or binary.

It's probably a good idea to spot some common binary traps, such as
ELF objects/executables, COFF binaries (for Windows/MinGW), jar files
with bytecode, and Mono assemblies with CIL code.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)