Concerns about 'provenpackager' and why I didn't mass ACL open

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 21:26:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:18 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Trust: If I'm a new contributor who just needed to get X.Y.Z in because
> I just started using it on my shiny Fedora Desktop, I may not have any
> contact with any other Fedora Contributor.  If I don't trust the
> provenpackager group with this software, I'm not likely to trust an
> unknown packager who asks to be a comaintainer either.  In fact, if
> there was an over-all group of people who seldom make a mistake and know
> packaging and software backward and forward, I'm more likely to entrust
> that group with the ability to modify my package than the random packager.

To be fair, when I first proposed new maintainer containment, this above
was my vision for the elevated access group.

Unfortunately FESCo chose to fill that group with a much larger set of
people with nothing but "number of packages" as a requirement.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!