FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-11-05

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Nov 7 23:44:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>       * After evaluating Empathy(1) with Colin Walters (walters) and
>>         Will Woods (wwoods), FESCo felt that Empathy wasn't ready at
>>         this time to become the default IM client for Fedora 10. This
>>         was due to some missing features and bugs in comparison to
>>         Pidgin.  The plan is to reevaluate Empathy for Fedora 11, since
>>         most of the current issues should be resolved for Gnome 2.26.

I notice on my F9 copy of Empathy that there is no support for MSN or AIM
on the default Empahty install i got (even though the 'help' claims supports
it).

More importantly, I see no OTR support. Which means this default app change
is like going from ssh to telnet.

> is not to the say, that I disagree with the decision itself. Just that it is
> very very late.

I do disagree with a switch. And I do hate pidgin with a vengance.

Paul