End of bind-chroot-admin script

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 10 01:43:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:09 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> bind-chroot-admin script should sync BIND configuration files to
> chroot() directory. It was written with good intention but it has
> never worked correctly in all situations. There is long history with
> many broken configurations and urgent severity bugs.
>
> I'm going to remove this script from Fedora 11 (it is part of Fedora/RHEL
> only, no other distro uses it). After removal, "standard" chroot
> structure will be created when you install bind-chroot package. It
> will contain all needed files for running named in chroot but admin
> shall move needed configuration files to chroot manually. Do you have
> any comments?

So, after this, the master configuration files will no longer live
in /etc but in /var/named/chroot/etc?  Will the /etc/ files be removed?
What will prevent the frustrated admin from editing the wrong file?

As part of my efforts on Samba4, I've been trying to make it easier for
administrators to include the pre-generated zone file, and the rules for
GSS-TSIG updates (required by windows clients).  I hope this will not
make it harder to have fairly generic instructions (insert this snippit
into /etc/named.conf) for my users.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett