Proposal: Rolling Release

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:57:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> The real missing piece is 'undo' when you find out that a change in the new
> version breaks something that you need.  Does anyone know if that actually
> works on systems using conary (i.e. can you back up a major revision)?

Using hardlink forests, Scott's olpc-update does some of that. It's
not integrated to rpm/yum but it could easily be turned into a "cheap
snapshot" without having to wait for ZFS/BTRFS. I am not madly in love
with it, but it does its job.

You'll find - however- that applications and desktop environments
often upgrade their storage formats, so your downgrade path may be
well oiled in the rpm/yum sense, and yet completely unusable for end
users.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions