Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net> wrote:
Once upon a time, Patrice Dumas <pertusus free fr> said:
> Fedora is not in a bad state with respect to fine grained dependencies
> (it was quite bad back, at least up to FC4), mostly
> * thanks to olpc,
> * to maintainers who reported these issues,
> * because there is always some space needed on the live disc
> * thanks to split to some -libs because of multilib issues.
>
> Unless it has been solved, there was still an issue with metacity (and
> maybe gnome) and themes interdependencies. Also there are still
> monolithic big beasts like texlive, but I am not sure that it is
> that desirable to fix those.

I tried to install ntop on a firewall (minimal F9 install, tuned via
kickstart).  There were 70 packages added because of dependencies,
including metacity.

I agree here...and I don't think Fedora is not in a bad state regarding fine-grained deps...
if you want a point of comparison, take a look at Debian, maybe. Or the *BSD's.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>

Aioanei Rares
schaiba fedoraproject org
"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese." --Charles de Gaulle