Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> said:
> Chris Adams (cmadams hiwaay net) said:
> > Why is "ed" still mandatory in core?
>
> Because ed is the stnadard text editor. (Couldn't resist.)

Okay, but then you need to drop vim-minimal. :-)

> > I see a few other things that don't really seem core to me (file,
> > hdparm, prelink, dhclient); it isn't that I don't use them, but I don't
> > necessarily see why they should be mandatory.
>
> hdparm is a bug, removed in the F11 tree. (I'm tempted to do it for F10
> too). prelink's sort of weird, in that I'm not sure how it would get on
> the system otherwise - it could probably be moved to Base. dhclient is
> included so you can always configure and start minimal networking.

prelink should be in base (and as "default", not "mandatory").  Even
dhclient probably shouldn't be "mandatory" (I set servers up with static
IPs on networks with no DHCP server).

Remember, "mandatory" means the only way to not install it is a custom
kickstart; it should not be used very much.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>