starting Fedora Server SIG

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 15:02:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 08:01 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> said:
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 02:27:42PM +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > > Crucial thing is static IPs which NM can't handle.
> >
> > False.
>
> Whether it can handle them (what about aliases, ranges, etc.) or not;
> why would I want a daemon running to handle a static config?

Aliases yes, by adding multiple IP addresses to the same interface,
which is also exactly what you can do with /sbin/ip.  ethX:X is
generally deprecated AFAICT simply because it's ugly, and because it's
an artifact of ifconfig/ioctl not being able to handle multiple
addresses natively.  You should be able to add more than one address in
the ifcfg file, or you can use the connection editor to add as many
addresses as you like from the GUI.

Ranges will have to be added, but wouldn't be horribly hard to do.  I
know that functionality is present in the ifcfg files.

> There seems to be a proliferation of "standard" daemons these days, with
> no good documentation of how they fit together, when they are really
> required, etc.  Can I disable haldaemon on my servers?  What about dbus?
> Now you want to add NM?

You can certainly disable NetworkManager and use manual configuration of
your network devices.

Dan