Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra wpi edu> wrote:
> Well, for system-wide connections which you would presumably want for
> a server, you edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* as usual and
> NM will bring the interface up at boot.
>
> >From the desktop, you can Edit Connections and create a new static
> connection and select it instead of the System or Auto connection
> which is very handy when moving between networks that don't support
> DHCP.

Then could you tell me, please, how to fix an issue I've got with a
server running F-9 that has a static IP address?  I've edited
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  It contains (among other
settings):

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
IPADDR=xx.xx.xx.xx

Everything works fine *except* that ONBOOT=yes is not honored.  On
boot, eth0 is not up.  I have to go login to the machine's console and
"ifup eth0" before I get a network connection.  After that it behaves
perfectly.  This wasn't so much of a problem when the machine in
question was 50 feet from my desk, but it is currently 45 miles from
my desk and that IS a problem.  Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/