Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin langhoff gmail com> wrote:
>> I tried to do the same thing with dbus. Right - every script had to be
>> running all the time. With any modern dynamic language, that's a ton
>> of RAM that goes to waste.
>
> Did you look at oddjob for that?

No - and the manpage isn't particularly helpful. I assume it could be
a replacement for incrond using dbus? Even if it was, inotify+files
seems far better than dbus messages:

 - The creation and move/rename events are very efficient and well
suited events to trigger actions.

 - Permissions fit the classic posix + ACL file/dir permission model
everyone understands.

 - Events can be handled synchronously or asynchronously (with old
fashioned cron). The message (file) does not go away.

 - The is minimal penalty if I'm dealing with large chunks of data.
The event handler can stream or mmap the file or do whatever crazy
efficient scheme it wants.

Initially, I wasn't so certain about incrond, but seeing dbus usage
and incrond usage over time... let's say that I'm not running to dbus
anytime soon ;-)

cheers,

 martin langhoff gmail com
 martin laptop org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions