Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Colin Walters wrote:

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal fedoraproject org> wrote:

You might notice that all of the above are features that are good for
developers working on enhancing other software and good for desktop users
but not so much features that a sysadmin worried only about keeping systems
running and using as few resources as possible will care about.

If any part of the core freedesktop.org stack uses an unreasonable
amount of memory, please file a bug and we will fix it.

It uses ANY memory. That's more than is reasonable considering that the former solution (ifconfig) uses none.

Colin, let me very clear, I think what NM does for the desktop is very good, indeed. I like not having to fiddle around to make WEP stuff work using iwconfig anymore. I appreciate what's been achieved.

That doesn't make it a more useful thing on a server.

 -sv