Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

/me bites

On 14.11.2008 18:32, Seth Vidal wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
But trying to preserve that modularity combinatorially adds to the
testing matrix and also makes it significantly more difficult to write
code since you can no longer depend on functionality.  It also makes
things slower as you have to conditionally check for things constantly.

I don't disagree, but it is a lot better to acknowledge this situation than it is to simply attribute some kind of neo-luddite perspective to those suggesting we do anything else.

I'm not saying we keep everything forever, I am saying we might consider thinking a bit more before deciding to implement a brand new system as solution to an existing problem.

That IMHO is a general problem in Fedora and IMHO one of the biggest problems of Fedora.

One examples from the last two years: the new firewire stack JuJu. It afaics is a improvement now, but it was a bit to early when we shipped it as the "one and only" Firewire stack.

Fedora as a whole IMHO should act a bit more like the kernel developers that have that "no regressions in new kernels" as goal -- they don't reach that goal completely but they are quite close afaics.

CU
knurd