starting Fedora Server SIG

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 18:09:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 12:32 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > But trying to preserve that modularity combinatorially adds to the
> > testing matrix and also makes it significantly more difficult to write
> > code since you can no longer depend on functionality.  It also makes
> > things slower as you have to conditionally check for things constantly.
>
> I don't disagree, but it is a lot better to acknowledge this situation
> than it is to simply attribute some kind of neo-luddite perspective to
> those suggesting we do anything else.
>
> I'm not saying we keep everything forever, I am saying we might consider
> thinking a bit more before deciding to implement a brand new system
> as solution to an existing problem.

Some changes are a flag day (udev, pam, ConsoleKit) just because the
cost of otherwise is very high.  Others can be spread out over time
(we've only been working on getting NetworkManager into shape and in use
for the better part of five years now).

I think we're actually in violent agreement :)

Jeremy