Re: Manpages for DBus services? was Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm redhat com> wrote:
> Brainstorming here, but do DBus services come with some form of
> documentation format?

Not intrinsically, we decided it would be a bad idea to put docs in
the introspection XML.  However,

> If so, it it possible to generate a man page per
> service, and ship it in the rpm, as one step towards making DBus more
> accessible to old-school Unix types?

Various projects do different things for interface documentation; for
NetworkManager in particular see here:

The documentation is not yet shipped in the package that I see though
(it probably should be in NetworkManager-devel).

For ConsoleKit there are docs in the shipped introspection XML:

Eventually we'll straighten this out and probably have some sort of
standard IDL and associated documentation, and probably have -devel
packages build and ship HTML formatted docs.  Up until now mostly
these interfaces have been for freedesktop/GNOME/KDE hackers to use
internally, not really for 3rd party developers.