F11 Proposal: Stabilization

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 08:33:05 UTC 2008

2008/11/17 Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org>

> Yo,
>
> Can I make a proposal for a major theme for an upcoming Fedora (whether
> F11 or F12): Stabilization.
>
> Rather than the latest bells and whistles, I would personally much
> prefer that stuff that used to work didn't break randomly, and that
> stable Fedora updates wouldn't result in me wondering whether suspend,
> graphics, SELinux, or some other feature that was working was going to
> break today. This isn't actually a rant, more pointing out a necessity.

That would essencially rely on piling up code for 6 months considering we
can't do anything but backport fixes. Imagine opening the floodgates for F12
then, 6 months of new code plus whatever comes in that cycle. Also imagine
the userbase we will lose by not providing the latest GNOME, kernel, X as
well, people really do care that their new hardware is supported or that we
ship the latest OpenOffice.

What we really desperately need though is more automation in our
bugreporting, we need something like apport to catch crashers earlier, get
developers the information required to fix them without spending time
repeating instructions and increasing the feedback loop unneededly. Yes we
need to do better, but better is not achieved by ceasing development.
Automatic gathering of SELinux failures is also possible, we need to make it
happen, the sooner then better.

If we can find people willing to work on suspend, starting by writing up a
good guide for users on the wiki on how to gather the information needed
would be great. I primarily haven't filed suspend bugs because I directly
expect it not to work from experience, I assume there is a lot of work to be
done. Tell me where to start and I will test all my machines for suspend.

- David