My roadmap for a better Fedora

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 22:17:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:23:42AM +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> 2008/11/19, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>:
> > Because it's not a one-way communication (at least, not if you want it
> >  to be effective.)
>
> I think you misundestood something. If order to effectively hunt
> issues, we definitely need HUGE number of bugreports (remember
> Necrosoft's "Send crash dump" utility). That definitely means one-way
> communication. I'm insisting - one-way communication (e.g. user will
> send bugreport to invisible-to-him blackhole, w/o answer, with some
> handy tool).

Utterly useless. I already have a HUGE number of bug reports. The problem
is that 90% of them are essentially useless when first reported. It requires
several back/forth interactions between myself & the bug reporter to get
enough information to diagnose & resolve the problem. If we create a system
where we bombard maintainers with bugreports & no scope for user interaction
they'll end up directly in /dev/null, and further discourage maintainers
from addressing even bugs with enough info.

Daniel