Heads up for mono-2.2

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Nov 26 12:18:43 UTC 2008

On Wednesday, 26 November 2008 at 12:56, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mer 26 novembre 2008 11:54, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski a écrit :

> Because all our tools including bugzilla list srpm names, not rpm names.

That's something that could be changed. Why can't bugzilla map rpm names
to srpm names automagically? Also see below.

> >> are not,
> >> way, after
>
> To report a bug they need to know the srpm name

That shouldn't be a requirement. In fact, I remember some discussion around
here about providing some bug-reporting aid tool that would provide some
of the necessary details automagically (srpm name being one of them).

> >> I do not believe that not having a separate srpm for this will be a
> >> problem.  Anyone that needs it will probably figure it out.
>
> > You can always check which src.rpm a package was built from with rpm
> > -qi.
>
> You can do a lot of things, but my point is
> 1. most people won't bother and therefore
> 2. magic packages where the rpm -> srpm relation is not obvious are
> just introducing drag and problems in the Fedora workflows.

That should not be an argument to force packagers to use convoluted
rpm names. Building monodoc.rpm from mono.src.rpm is perfectly fine
if they come from a single tarball.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."