Feature proposal: New, Standard Documentation System

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Nov 27 10:15:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 09:32:26AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Debian forces all programs to come with a man page.  If one is
> missing, this is considered a bug and packagers have to write one.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html

I don't think that making a man page should be a guideline in fedora. If
th efedora contributor wants to work a man page with upstream, fine, but
it should be optional.

> This would be an excellent idea for Fedora to follow (and we can,
> license permitting, use the Debian man pages).

If there is a good debian man page and nothing upstream, I think it is
best practice for a packager to use the debian man page. But I don't
think that it needs a guideline, it is fairly obvious that it is right.

Maybe you could add something on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Packaging_Tricks
stating that it is good to work a man page with upstream like debian
does and reusing debian manpage is also worth it.

--
Pat