RFC: Changing default filesystem parameters for power management reasons

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Thu Nov 27 16:16:03 UTC 2008

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> I'd like F11 to be more useful for disk power management. This involves
> tuning various parameters in order to reduce disk access.
>
> The first is relatime.
> The second is to increase the value of dirty_writeback_centisecs.
> Thirdly, I'd like to enable laptop mode by default.

Does the kernel export whether dev is an SSD.
If so, it would allow us to do a different combination of the above.

Generally userspace should do lots of things
differently/more efficiently if it knows a dev is an SSD.

Pádraig.