Re: RFC: Changing default filesystem parameters for power management reasons

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 16:44 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> It would be nice to have the kernel export disk access via a socket or
>> something rather than the currently available debug option, which is to
>> dump to dmesg which then triggers log writes which triggers more
>> messages and fail occurs.
>
> Does blktrace trigger log writes?

shouldn't... but then it doesn't tell you what file was written to,
either (just blocks) because it's working lower down the stack.  It
gives you a process name though at least.

One of the things I've found fairly often is applications which re-write
the same litle log or config file over and over, with unchanged
contents.  It'd be nice if any disktop-like thing could check for that.
 But that would require knowledge of what files were being accessed.

-Eric