Status of driver ov511 based cameras

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Fri Nov 28 19:44:08 UTC 2008

There are two drivers for those cameras:

-the 1.x driver who is in the kernel and is basically useless since the
only OV511 cameras who are not by today standards as obsolete as a 20
Mhz 386 don't work with it.

-the 2.x driver at alpha.dyndns.com/ov511.  This is the only one who
works with
the late models who used this chip (and the ones who are still useful).
Probelm is that the author has not updated its site in two years and
that it no longer compiles with present day kernel.  I fixed it for
2.6.16 kernels and sent the patches to the author but got no answer.
And kernel 2.6.24 (I think) broke it again (or more exactly made it
no longer compile).

Question if I fix it again what are the chances it ends in Fedora?   How
are orphaned drivers handled in the kernel?  Someone, who doesn't seem
to be the original author, has been ensuring the 1.x continues compiling
in 2.6.27 despite the changes in interface.

JF Martinez