RFC: Changing default filesystem parameters for power management reasons

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 07:05:12 UTC 2008

On 11/28/2008 06:55 AM, Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:16:36 +0100, Phil Knirsch wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like a good idea. It's also something i've been looking at a
>>> bit. Take e.g. something like xchat. If you enable logging there you
>>> basically keep your disc active all the time as xchat itself doesn't
>>> use a large internal cache to write the data out every X MB or so.
>>
>> And why should it, honestly? Bufffering data ist the OSes job 99% of
>> the time. As long as xchat does not use fsync() after each write we
>> should be good.
>>

> Maybe i wasn't clear enough. But take for example the difference
> between xchat and say, syslog. I'd be really unhappy if i'd loose 1
> hour of syslog data in the event of a system crash, but i couldn't
> care less if i'd loose 1 hour of xchatlogs during that time.

Depends on the point of view -- take Joe The User who carries "Important
Conversation" of which he wants to have a log. He cares a lot that he
lost last hour of his xchat (or whatever he uses) logs. He quite likely
doesn't care about last hour of syslog messages (he may not even be
aware they exist in the first place)...

Regards,
Dariusz