CMake!

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Fri Oct 10 22:54:43 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Callum Lerwick <seg <at> haxxed.com> writes:
>> On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 15:56 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:
>>> If you want upstream to stop using libtool altogether, find a suitable
>>> replacement and convince the Automake developers to use it instead.
>> Why the h8? He was speaking in the context of "the state of the art" and
>> in my oh-so-humble opinion CMake is it. The whole of the Autotools stack
>> is very much... not.
>
> +1
>
> The suggestion to convince the automake developers to use something other than
> libtool is pointless, because automake should also go away, it's at least as
> obsolete, buggy, unable to maintain backwards compatibility, annoying, a
> massive time waster at build time and a major PITA for developers to code with
> as libtool is. The whole autotools stack sucks. It always did, we just didn't
> have anything better. We now do, so why are people still using autotools?
>
> Some of the major design failures of the autotools:

[snip]

And we're done.  This thread has become a place for build system zealots
rant without any regard to finding a pragmatic solution to the problem
at hand and without consideration for those who might wish to do so.  Enjoy.

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>               Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>