tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 02:52:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> Grumble grumble.
>
> I'm finding having sbin in my user path really annoying. I go to type
> 'killall firefox' using tab completion, and killall5 (which says in its man
> page "Its primary (only) use is in the rc scripts"!) is in the way. I go to
> run firefox again, and I'm impeded by firstboot. Etc., etc., etc.
>
> This change is not for the better, and doesn't fit the stated goal of "sbin
> sanity".
>
> The sudo change was good, and helped out. Moving useful binaries out of sbin
> and into bin would have been a good path. Throwing everything into one pot
> is a regression.
>

> Now, I hear you saying already: "stop whining, Matthew. Just put it the way
> you want in your dotfiles". Well, okay, I have. But I don't want to just set
> a static path since I want /etc/profile.d to still work. So I've got to do
> an active munging sed script. Ugh.
>
> We've just made the command line a lot less user friendly for common use in
> exchange for an ugly fix to a small inconvenience. *Any* chance of putting
> this back and working at fixing the problem the hard but correct way?

I won't say you are whining.. but you are the first systems
administrator I have met in several years who hasn't had
/usr/sbin:/sbin in their default path. You sure they didn't make you a
manager and didn't tell you?

I think the chance for putting it back is still there.. if someone is
willing to do the work on the hard but correct way? I think it was
crickets the last couple of times when volunteers were asked for that.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux