tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Oct 1 03:51:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:52:10PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> I won't say you are whining.. but you are the first systems
> administrator I have met in several years who hasn't had
> /usr/sbin:/sbin in their default path. You sure they didn't make you a
> manager and didn't tell you?

Heh. Well, I also have had sudo compiled with /sbin and /usr/sbin in its
secure path, so sudo command (and sudo com[tab] with bash_completion) has
worked correctly for me for years. And if there's an admin command that I'm
for some reason running not as root it should a) be moved out of sbin or b)
I probably at least want to think about it and so typing the path doesn't
hurt.

> I think the chance for putting it back is still there.. if someone is
> willing to do the work on the hard but correct way? I think it was
> crickets the last couple of times when volunteers were asked for that.

Sure, I'm willing to work on it.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect