Uniform Proxy Settings

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Fri Oct 3 15:10:34 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 13:57 +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)
> wrote:
>> Tim Lauridsen пишет:

>>> The problem is that the above is Gnome thing, so it make sense for
>>> gnome apps to use it, but yum a low level app there should work on all
>>> systems, also sytems with no GUI.
>>> Tim
>>>
>> Yes, but it is no problem for yum optionally check this settings if it
>> is available in system, right?
>
> Rather than instrument all apps so they can follow all desktop systems'
> mechanism for setting a proxy, wouldn't it make more sense to have a
> common way that all the desktops set?

   Can we make this a part of the packaging policy that if your package
sets/gets or do anything with the proxy settings, then it should always
set/unset/access the env variables like http_proxy, ftp_proxy,
gopher_proxy so that we can achieve some uniform system?

> -sv

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Web-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode

believed to be clean.