SELinux - copying ISO file content

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Oct 4 08:25:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:13 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> > $ mount -o loop Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso /mnt
> >
> > And then one might legitimately expect to be able to copy the content
> > of /mnt over to e.g. /somewhere/fedora/9/i386 for NFS installs. But
> > suppose that one is running SELinux in enforcing mode, then this will
> > fail because the contexts differ in this operation. Then, one will
> > likely quickly become severely annoyed and frustrated with SELinux,
> > simply setting it permissive for the duration of the operation...

> Why would the copy fail?  cp should just work and set the files to the
> context of the destination directory.  If this fails it is a bug.

Ok, so there's a bug there then. Copying files from within an ISO image
was kind of the last straw in my willingness to keep SELinux enabled. It
hinders me at almost every turn from doing useful things with a Linux
desktop - I'm constantly amazed that Fedora persists in defaulting it
enabled, but that's a whole other rant.

Jon.