Mono 2.0

Conrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Sun Oct 5 19:54:07 UTC 2008

On Sunday 05 October 2008 12:49:46 pm Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been told from Novell that Mono rc4 (currently in rawhide) will be
> released as the real 2.0 version tomorrow (Monday).
>
> As there is no difference between RC4 and the release version, I'm not
> intending to repackage them just for the sake of it as it seems an
> exercise in futility to be honest.

What if the release version ends up being RC5? Isn't that the point of release
candidates?

> My plan is to roll out the full mono 2.0 stack to F9 as soon as F10 is
> released. This will mean that for the first time, both the current and
> previous versions of Fedora will be running on the same version of mono.
> What will then happen is this

Sounds good so far.

> Mono releases version 2.1, rawhide gets this plus any bug fixes. After a
> month, this is rolled down to release and after 2 months, release - 1.
> This will also apply to Monodevelop. As I don't have control over other
> Mono packages (or mono-based packages), can I ask that if you do have a
> mono package that you also adopt this system. Currently things in F8 and
> F9 are a mess and they need a good clean up.

Why wait a month between F10 and F9? I can see waiting between pushing to
updates-testing or rawhide and then to a stable release, but this just seems
an artificial delay in pushing the latest and greatest, as well as bugfixes.

> TTFN
>
> Paul

Regards,
--