Disappointed: My feature was removed without noticing me

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 19:06:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:37:50PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Looking through the IRC log [2] I find only very little information
> about the LXDE removal. The topic was discussed very shortly and the
> decision was made by only 2 people. And I think it was based on wrong
> information. wwoods incorrectly assumed there were _no_ LXDE packages
> ready yet, nirik corrected him the _some_ are ready, but in fact _all_
> except two are.

Yes, I think it's disappointing that hard work gets dropped like this.
It's verging on deletionism, which was the reason I left wikipedia.

The Haskell feature was dropped at the same meeting just because the
guy maintaining it wasn't there.  Probably he didn't know the meeting
was happening because he didn't read some announcement in one of the
multitude of mailing lists that we need to keep up with.  Or being in
Europe, he might have been busy at 7/8pm in the evening.

As a positive take from this, I think that the meeting organizer
should CC all people who should be at the meeting, when sending the
announcement.  I also think that FESCo members shouldn't comment on
proposals unless they are technically au fait with them.  This means
FESCo members taking some time each week to do technical work with the
projects.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)