Obsoletes question: codeina

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Oct 8 17:39:46 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 08 October 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 20:16 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > I think the Obsoletes alone accomplishes auto-upgrading from codeina to
> > pk-gstreamer-plugin.   I hope that's what you meant as desirable in the
> > above, I'm having a bit of a problem parsing it.
>
> With an obsolete alone, 'yum update' would never see that it needs to
> bring in pk-gstreamer-plugin.  Codeina would be left alone.

That's not how any depsolver I'm aware of behaves - I think it'd be a bug.

> IMHO that's
> not the scenario we want played out.  We /want/ Codeina replaced by the
> packagekit solution, and the only way to make that happen for people
> already with codeina installed is to add the Provides.

As said, the Obsoletes should be enough for that.  And is for me (on F-9):

----

# rpm -q codeina
codeina-0.10.1-8.fc9.noarch

# cat <<EOF > /etc/yum.repos.d/tmp2.repo
[tmp2]
name=tmp2
gpgcheck=0
baseurl=http://scop.fedorapeople.org/tmp2/
EOF

# repoquery --provides pk-gstreamer-plugin-fake
pk-gstreamer-plugin-fake = 1.0-1

# repoquery --obsoletes pk-gstreamer-plugin-fake
codeina < 0.10.1-10

# yum update
[...]
Installing:
 pk-gstreamer-plugin-fake        noarch        1.0-1        tmp2          1.4k
     replacing  codeina.noarch 0.10.1-8.fc9
[...]
Running Transaction
  Installing     : pk-gstreamer-plugin-fake                          [1/2]
  Erasing        : codeina                                           [2/2]

Installed: pk-gstreamer-plugin-fake.noarch 0:1.0-1
Replaced: codeina.noarch 0:0.10.1-8.fc9
Complete!

----

The specfile for the test package is at