Taking fedora-devel into consideration [Was: Re: tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Oct 9 16:18:22 UTC 2008

On 09.10.2008 17:20, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-10-09, 12:50 GMT, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Most people (including FESCo members) after those one or two
>> months will have forgotten most (if not all) of the arguments
>> from the mailing list discussion; and only some people/FESCo
>> members will look at the old discussion closer again (we are
>> all busy and time is very rare);
> I thought that I will gladly let this thread die, but this
> paragraph hit me -- if this the description of reality in FESCo
> than I know how to vote in the upcoming elections.

Just a reminder: I'm not in FESCo anymore.

> If you really
> don't prepare for the decision on the meeting agenda in advance
> (which would apparently include here checking the thread from the
> archives of fedora-devel), then you are not doing your job well.

I can't not speak for the current FESCo at all, as I haven't tried to
get any proposals through FESCo in the past few months.

But during my FESCo time and the time after it (in which I tried to be a
good Fedora contributor and tried to do things without being in FESCo,
which was so hard and frustrating that I stopped trying (¹)) I more then
occasional noticed that at least some of the members had not really
looked properly at proposals and their history; often they had trust in
the one that handed in the proposal or just followed completely or
partly the decision from another FESCO member they trusted to know that
he's familiar with the topic.

Sure, that's not ideal, but I don't really blame us/them for it
(especially as I suppose I worked similar now and then as well). We are
all humans and time is limited -- thus we all the time in different
aspects and areas of our life can't look at each and every detail, as
there often simply is not enough time to do so; instead we look at the
basics and put trust and faith in other people we know and just follow
completely or partly their decision if the basics look good.

 > [...]

CU
knurd

(¹) part of that story is relevant for the current as well: I for
example once had a proposal that I posted to fedora-devel for public and
FESCo review and discussion; in the end that proposal was posted to
fedora-devel again and again (five times in the end), as in each new
meeting a different FESCo member suddenly had a new comment about it and
wanted something changed; I once or twice  asked why that comment or
problem hadn't been raised in those earlier decisions on the list. I got
the answer "sorry, I had no time to follow it closely".

But whatever. That is history now and not that much relevant anymore. It
just shows how humans sometimes are; that is not specific to FESCo.