[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 15:31:18 UTC 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 10:13:57 Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Dmitry Butskoy <buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru> wrote:
[...]
> > Fedora Desktop "all the time"? (Maybe RedHat employees of them are
> > compelled to use RHEL Desktop in basic working hours?)
>
> I'm not a Red Hat employee, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't
> "compelled" to do anything.

That would be correct.

> And lots of developers that I know run
> rawhide all the time.

Yep. My IBM ThinkPad T61 laptop, which I use for 99% of my $dayjob desktop use
(docked on a ThinkPad Advanced Dock) is running rawhide. I've got several
development boxes here in the office that are a mix of the latest RHEL and
latest rawhide, as I have both package and kernel work to do on both. Some of
'em have both rawhide and RHEL installs too.

On the home front, my personal web and mail server is still lagging behind on
Fedora 9, but will get upgraded soon (yes, I consider running Fedora 9 to be
lagging behind ;). My mythtv boxes, my tinkering desktop system at home, my
Acer Aspire One netbook and my AppleTV, all running rawhide as well.

Also, taking off my Red Hat hat and speaking purely from a personal point of
view, I'd echo the sentiment that CentOS pretty much *is* Fedora LTS for those
that want such a thing.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com