[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:53:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 12:38 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>> > Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
[snip]
>> The fact that they switched to CentOS is *good* for Fedora.
> I can not disagree more - To me, it's yet another evidence of Fedora
> being on the loose.

You're going to have to expound on that. I do not see Centos in any
way as in competition with Fedora. Centos is something everyone should
be proud of.

>>  CentOS's
>> goals are better oriented to the needs of someone that wants to deploy a
>> system and run it for years.  Fedora is good for people who want to get
>> the latest technologies from upstream as soon as they're stable enough
>> to integrate into a running system.
> Right. But why can't Fedora do better? I feel Fedora could do better.

Sure. With more devs, servers, time, etc. But baring a sudden increase
in those, I would much prefer to see Fedora focus on dev and testing,
let other distros pretty things up.

>> > This situation seems to be reflected in the Fedora project itself.
>> > Guess, how many Fedora infrastructure servers are run under the latest
>> > "stable" Fedora release?
>>
>> As few as possible.
> IMO, a fundamental management/infrastructure mistake - If these people
> were using Fedora, they would be facing the issues Fedora users are
> facing everyday and likely would being to understand why people complain
> about Fedora.

Why would they, after often suggesting that Fedora _not_ be used on
production servers, use Fedora on their production servers?

>>   The reason is not about stability.  It is about
>> updates.  Once Fedora stops getting updates we'd have to upgrade to the
>> next Fedora release with all of the churn that causes for vastly
>> unrelated pieces of the OS.
> Gotcha! If not even the Fedora project can handle the issues, why do you
> expect users to be able to solve them? I think technically the issues
> can be overcome. It's a matter of will.

Well, it's not really an issue. It's only an issue if you run Fedora
on your production servers. Which, again is up to you, not
recommended, and as such no one expects users to "solve" this problem
either.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )